Bird wakes up feeling grumpy. Too grumpy to eat or play. Too grumpy even to fly. Looks like I'm walking today, says Bird. He walks past Sheep, who offers to keep him company. He walks past Rabbit, who also could use a walk. Raccoon, Beaver, and Fox join in, too. All the while, Bird grows grumpier and grumpier! But before he knows it, a little exercise and companionship help Bird overcome his bad mood. This winsome, refreshingly original story is sure to help kids (and grown-ups) giggle away theirs, too!
Safe for all ages.
Jeremy Tankard's deceptively simple tale is a useful tonic for moody kids -- and their parents -- but the best thing about it is the comic perfection of Bird's face as he marches along in a fury. --The Wall Street Journal
Grumpy Bird would make a good addition to storytimes with themes of emotions or imagination. --School Library Journal
Awards forGrumpy Bird
- Los Angeles Times Favorite Books of 2007
- Nominee, Ruth and Sylvia Schwartz Children's Book Award, 2008
- Nominee, CBA Libris Award, Children's Illustrator of the Year, 2008
- Shortlist, The Amelia Francess Howard-Gibbon Illustrator's Award, 2008
- Nominee, Shining Willow Award, 2007
- OLA Best Bets, 2007
- CBC Sounds Like Canada Children's Book Panel Selection
- Nominee, Blue Spruce Award, 2007
- Toronto Public Library First & Best booklist
- Nominee, Early Years Niagara Literary Award
Jeremy Tankard has illustrated numerous picture books including his own GRUMPY BIRD and BOO HOO BIRD, PIGGY BUNNY by Rachel Vail (Feiwel and Friends), and ITS A TIGER by David LaRochelle (Chronicle Books). He lives in Canada with his family. You can visit him online at www.jeremytankard.com.